Friday, February 6, 2009

About PracticallyRaw/The Raw Pantry

One of the main motivators for me (Sean) about Raw Foods is my health. I have “essential hypertension” which means I have high blood pressure, but there is no discernable cause. My arteries and blood flow is fine etc… and there isn’t a simple cause and effect answer. I found this out about 5 years ago while at my parents house, visiting for Christmas. My mother has high blood pressure, as well as my sister.

I took my BP on a monitor at their house, and the results were staggering: 180/120. In reality, I should have gone right to the ER! However, the even greater reality is I have been walking around with this situation, a potentially life threatening situation.

The only time in the last 5 years I have lowered, or been able to get off medication, is after extended periods of raw food fasting. MY weight dropped significantly, as well as my intake of nutrition increased dramatically.

Another motivator for me is my struggles with compulsive eating, combined with a real creativity and love for food and fellowship. I have struggled most of my life with compulsive behaviors. I have been clean from drugs for almost 20 years after having to come to grips with being an addict at age 19. I have always used food as great comfort, and yet have also had a creative outlet making food, and sharing with people! Dangerous combinations!

Eating Raw Food is quite frankly boring for a long time. Until the body is detoxified, and revolutionized it craves the flavors and false nutrition of cooked foods. Once you have converted (I have experienced this at different times in my life) to a healthier diet for long enough, you don’t crave the same things, and you actually enjoy simpler, healthier foods MUCH more. Eating a piece of fruit can be an incredible tasting experience when your palette is restored.

The compulsive problem is a lot more difficult. It is very easy to binge eat on Raw Food! And because at first, the damage is not noticeable, it doesn’t seem to be a problem. But as time goes by, eating the largest bowl of salad I can create has its drawbacks! The interesting thing for me is that the outlets of creativity, and fellowship with people interested in health actually help me avoid binge eating. As I see improvements in my health, my well being, and my overall mentality again, I find this time less and less of a desire to binge. I’m learning, as we all do, how to listen and respond as well as proactively act to help me along.

So PracticallyRaw, and The Raw Pantry are ways in which I can engage a lifestyle that provides an outlet for creativity, fellowship, and health with the added bonus of helping others become more practical. What a great combination!

3 comments:

  1. I would love to hear more about this but obviously we don't live in KC. Are you planning to just work this local or "branch out"and help others work this elsewhere. You can email me or respond here.

    Caro Fairchild

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ship products anywhere people want it. As far as learning things, you can always email us, and when you visit we will do a class!

    We will be in OH later this month as well. Be happy to bring some along and show you some tricks!

    ReplyDelete