Friday, February 13, 2009

A Typical “PracticallyRaw” Day


I realized that as we talk more and more about a practical approach to including more Raw Foods, it hasn't been communicated that we are not advocates of 100% Raw Food diet!

I cannot say I'm against it, only that I know very few people who are 100% Raw, and out of that few, only a small % are not dogmatic, bizarre, or on an agenda. And because of that, their ability to facilitate others in their life is SEVERELY limited. I do make exception in my consideration for people who are battling sickness. That is entirely a different story.

I'm a dogmatic person! I admit it. And I'm certainly not afraid of being labeled bizarre. And I recognize time after time my agendas, usually after the fact. But I try very hard not to include that in the effort I put into helping other people benefit from better nutrition.

One of my family's core principles is fellowship. We care about others, and we like to be with them. Usually around a common table, a shared place of community. It is clear from both my own conscience, and the practices of my own personal spiritual pursuit that my own dogmatics should submit themselves to the other whenever possible, and in whatever way encourages and builds up others. The main thing is the community and the exchange of affection between the people, not my agendas.

When my "Raw Food" becomes an inhibitor to connecting with others, or overrides my ability to sit with someone, and enjoy them, I have let Raw Food become the principal thing, and not the person.

I also want to add that I am on a 20+ year commitment to improving my own personal health. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a significant health issue that could kill me. I want to be around for my daughters and my grand babies! I want to be healthy in my late 50's and 60's to play with my children and share life with my wife and wherever our path leads.

This has forced me into a choice. And it is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm not 100% raw, and I might never get there! But I am committed to making long term choices, and work towards a healthy and balanced life where health, well being, communion (spiritually and physically), affection and connection are enabling me to be faithful with what I have, and where I'm going.

I hope to tweak my day more and more to include more things that are direct benefit to my health. I'm already seeing an improvement, and look forward to lots more. A typical day for me now is the following. :

  1. A Raw Shake in the am. Typically Coconut water, mixed with Soaked Almonds, Flax seeds, a little Agave Nectar, Stevia, a little coconut meat, and some flavorings:
    1. Raw Cacao. This one is controversial. It IS a stimulant, and I can tell. A little goes a LONG way.
    2. Vanilla Extract. Not Raw, but I use very little.
    3. Cinnamon. I use the actual bark type.
  2. A Salad in the late AM with Bread. My favorite meal. Chopped greens, vinaigrette, Tabasco! The bread I eat is my own bread I make. It is a mostly whole wheat, naturally fermented (i.e. "sourdough") bread with whole grains. It is thoroughly baked. It will last out on a cutting board for well over a week without mold. We will probably begin selling this bread as a practical compliment to Raw Foods in the future.
  3. I try and test all our dehydrated breads and spreads and other things throughout the afternoon.
  4. At "dinner", or the meal in the evening, I have my hardest time. I'm so programmed to think big, and cooked, and I also prepare food for the rest of my family, and my kids certainly aren't raw. I have been using Collard Greens for wraps, noodles from Zucchini, more Salad, and lots of other things to try and tame my habits.
  5. On Tuesday nights, and Friday night through Saturday evening, I have "free" meals. This is a holdover from habits and patterns, as well as personal choices to share food with others. I eat whatever I wish. Typically Sat am I have a cup of coffee, and Eggs and Toast! I still love that. It does make it harder to "return" to Raw Foods on Sunday, and I'm slowly feeling a change coming on about this kind of situation.

I share this to communicate that it isn't all about 100% this or that. I'm not a Raw Food Success Story. I'm simply a guy making a lifelong transition to things I know are good for me, and slowly adapting myself around a more healthy and effective life. I have been here before. I have done the detoxes, and gotten the benefits of all this, but because I didn't have a long-term, lifestyle perspective, I would return to my own habits and patterns. I'm slowly losing my all or nothing approach, and adapting.

No comments:

Post a Comment