Wednesday, August 26, 2009

More Raw....

So far, 2009 has been a good start for me personally. I have slowly converted to a far more Raw, Plant Based diet, but in a sustainable way that works well for the long term. Im not "on a diet", I have changed my eating habits, which will eventually make long term gains in health and well being.

But the reality is, unless I am making intentional choices to increase my health, I end up sliding back into patterns 39 years of compulsive eating helped create. I can feel the slide starting, and need to take action. Here are some things I have observed:

  1. My desire for fried foods has increased since I let up on my EFA intake (Essential Fatty Acids). We ran low on AimMega, our preferred supplement for this. I require an unusual amount due to my brain chemistry, and just dont get enough yet in foods, so I supplement. When I take less, my cravings for fats goes up considerably, as well as cooked food.
  2. My behavior, as well as overall brain function, is not as clear as I like it. This is due to my strong tendency to ADHD symptoms, and the less EFA intake, the more I get stuck, obsessive, hyper, aggressive, etc... It goes down NOTICEABLY when Im eating right.
  3. Im gaining weight. Some of it is water, some is constipation, some is more fat. Im eating foods that lack enzymes, with higher sugar contents, and lower nutrition. My body is responding.
  4. My blood pressure isnt continuing to go down. I am on 1/2 of 1 med, and while my BP is slightly high, Im trying to push through that. Eating more cooked food isnt where I have been successful in lowering my BP.

So while Im happy with my progress, and confident Im on a lifestyle change that is sustainable, and long term, I need to engage more for a time to bring the overall level of health up. I imagine this is a necessary periodic technique to overcome the resistance to changing.

We are going to go Raw for 30 days from 9/8/09-10/8/09. We are considering a cooked meal with the family once a week, but even then it will be vegan, with loads of veggies. Historically, this has resulted in some good momentum to click into the "next gear". We will be doing weekly food demos to keep us engaged, and connect with all the people who want to find ways to incorporate more Raw Food without turning their lives into an eating disorder!

No comments:

Post a Comment