Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ups and Downs

I find myself returning from a small family trip. We stayed with wonderful people, and the fellowship and family was great. I was around supportive people who understood my health goals and needs, and while they don't share the same things, certainly were helpful and accommodating.

However, I was out of my routine, out of my element, out of MY KITCHEN! All the little things I do all the time to keep me pointed towards a long term goal of sustainable health were missing. And I feel a little panic as I have slid around on my goals and my habits, and for me, that usually spells a decline.

However, this time I feel different. And at the risk of sounding like a women's health magazine, I think the following is a list of things that are helping me with maintaining a forward focus and progress towards long term, sustainable health with Raw Foods:

  1. No matter how supportive someone else is, your health is ENTIRELY your responsibility. It doesn't have to be a burden, and it is easier if others join you, but regardless of others choices, I've made one already about my own body.
  2. I'm in this for the long term. Similar to investing in the stock market vs. day trading. I'm thinking about the payoff 5-10-15-20 years from now. Momentary lapses or inconsistencies are not the definition of success out on the long term, consistent effort is.
  3. The truth is, while I ate a lot more cooked food than normal, I also made concerted efforts to eat a LOT more Raw Veggies. For instance, I had a considerable amount of shredded broccoli I brought with me. It was marinating when I left, and I ate it off and on for 5 days! I started eating fruit in the am again, and got at least 2 pieces in. I ate salads often, and took fiber supplements as least an hours before I knew I would be eating cooked food to help me feel physically full.
  4. I depended on my wife a lot, who ALWAYS encourages me. We shared a few bites of desserts, and splitting things always helps me enjoy things without over doing it.
  5. Focus on %. I don't advocate 100% Raw Foods unless you are struggling with illness or have a conviction that is pointing you in that direction. I'm shooting for 70% Raw Foods on any average day/week. If I do more great, if not, I shoot for it again. I'm not going to answer a compulsive day of eating cooked foods with an equally compulsive day of Raw Foods. Compulsivity is the enemy, with Cooked or Raw Foods. 12 step groups use the phrase "Progress rather than Perfection".
  6. I'm focusing on the good, not the bad. This is mentioned all the time, but is really worth repeating. After all the things listed above, I'm also thankful I'm even CONSCIOUS about my health, have a plan that has been proven successful, and I am working the plan.

You might have other ideas and helps that you know you can focus on. Martha Stewart might have a point; you won't make good choices or take good actions in the long term without focusing on good things. Focusing on bad things won't be sufficient, long lasting motivation, and it is very unproductive. Slaves have horrible productivity; Lovers will die for each other. I'm not a slave to my body, I love it appropriately.

1 comment:

  1. at the risk of teasing you too much, I do have to mention the non-dairy topping you used on your shortbread. Where does it fall on the cooked vs. raw spectrum?
    JeannieBean

    ReplyDelete