Tuesday, April 7, 2009

An Update part 2 of 2

Here is my status so far after a few months:

  1. Weight Loss: I have not lost nearly as much weight this time as I did previously. I expected this. I am not on a fast, nor am I indulging yet another compulsive action. I am making a much more long term change, and it is therefore more gradual. This is necessary for me emotionally, as most of the binging last time was out of a sense of deprivation, and wasn't healthy either. I have lost at least 10 pounds, although I don't know exactly, because I didn't measure it at the beginning, and my main focus is not weight loss. My weight will adjust as my body heals.
  2. Blood Pressure: I have not checked my Blood Pressure. There have been a few times when I have noticed a little light headedness, which MIGHT indicate my meds are a little strong. However I have not had the significant drop I had before.
  3. Habits: This is where I have had the most improvement, and gives me the most hope. My daily eating has modulated to a much less compulsive and less emotional level. I'm happy with eating the current way I am, and I am able to make small, incremental improvements to my diet on a daily basis. This has great potential for me, as it means that as I improve, over the long term, my body will not only become healthier, but will remain and improve over time. This is about the next 25 year, not the next 25 pounds.

My daily diet follows something close to the following. There are areas where I am going to take more action, and will blog about them for those interested:

1st food: We have started juicing. I normally HATE raw Carrots, however something is changing both in my taste buds, and my smell. I make juice most mornings with 1-2 apples or pears, 8-10 carrots, a red beet (including tops), and sometimes we blend this with a Young Coconut. This has proved to be a great thing first off in the day.

2nd Food: I make a raw shake with more density. I use Raw Soaked Almonds, Flax Seed, Hemp Oil, Young Coconut Water, Agave, Stevia (more Stevia, less Agave), and sometimes add cinnamon, vanilla, Raw Cacao, or even some ground coffee, with Ice.

3rd Food: Usually a large Green Salad, with some whole grain naturally leavened bread. Greens, Tomatoes, Peppers, Carrot, Avocado, and homemade vinaigrette. I sometimes eat this 2nd in the day if I don't feel like a shake.

The rest of the day will depend on our schedule. It might be more Salad, or a combination of cooked food that is typically vegetarian, although not always. There is also a fast every Tuesday in our community, and I'm trying to juice for most of that.

From Friday evening to Saturday evening, it is our personal conviction that it is a day of rest, and celebration. We stop and feed our hearts, as well as eat joyfully anything that sounds good. We happened to have a mostly Raw meal this last week, however it is more of a "free" day. Sat am I have one of my favorites, a cup of coffee, and eggs and toast. Throughout the day I might eat whatever I want.

One of the factors that needs to change is the idea of a "free" day. I'm a fan of feasting. But a "free" day means I'm not "free" the rest of the time, and that's not true. But there is still a process of healing and turning of other parts of me that aren't just physical, but emotional and mental.

We are also making an effort to eat during daylight, and not eat toward the end of the day. Our friend Paul Nison is soon releasing a book about this, and the concept has some real merit. But after 39 years of being in a routine of large meals at night etc… I'm going to take this as simply and practically as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment